About Us‎ > ‎Our Blog‎ > ‎

Our History

posted Dec 16, 2016, 1:12 PM by Michelle Eisenbeis   [ updated Dec 16, 2016, 1:12 PM ]

The Hockinson Volunteer Fire Department was officially formed in November 1947. Members of the United Finnish Kaleva Brothers & Sisters (UFKBS) gathered their resources and formed this fire department to serve and protect their neighbors. Their meetings were held in the building at NE 182 Ave and NE 164 St. This building has been fondly referred to as Finn Hall for many years. The original Fire Department officers and trustees included Albert Konanen, Ernest Tikka, Ed Isaac, Walter Johnson, Jack Bechell, Walter Konsa and Bill Kiive. Bill Kiive was the first Fire Chief. State regulations required a name change, so in 1953 the fire department name was changed to Clark County Fire District 3.

The original members of our fire department instilled the values of integrity, community, and responsible use of public funds in this organization. Those values live on today in all of our actions and decisions. Please take a close look at our web site to learn more about Fire District 3. We welcome your comments and questions.

Back Row: left to right, John Uusitalo, Ernest Carlson, Eino Matilla, Charley Tikka; Center: Axel Jauhola; Front Row: Albert Kananen, Ernest Tikka, Bill Kiivi, Alfred Adophson, Irving Weisenborn, Jack Beechill, Walter Johnson, Pete Frohs; Not Pictured: Leo Kiivi, Walter Konsa, Jim Bellcoff, Buck Wayne.

A lot is happening at Fire District 3. Beginning January 1, 2016 Fire District 3 began providing contract services for fire and emergency services to the City of Battle Ground. One 24 hours-per-day crew and one 12 hours-per-day crew provide emergency response out of the Battle Ground Fire Station at the intersection of SW 1st St. and SW 5th Ave. Personnel staff Rescue 35 (Paramedic equipped SUV), Squad 35 (Paramedic equipped crew cab F-450 flat bed with water/pump), Fire Engine 35, and Engine 39. Crews respond with the appropriate apparatus, dependent on the emergency call type.  The 12 hours-per-day crew provides Peak Hour Staffing, when the majority of emergency calls occur in Battle Ground between 8:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. After 8:00 P.M. the 12 hours-per-day crew moves to the Venersborg Fire Station and staffs that station from 8:00 P.M. until 8:00 A.M. When additional emergencies occur within the City of Battle Ground, and the first and second crews are busy on emergency calls, Fire District 3 personnel and resources will respond from nearby Fire District 3 fire stations.  In 2014 there were 197 overlapping responses in the City of Battle Ground.  Three simultaneous emergency responses are rare.

We continue to improve our emergency response capabilities. We provide fire suppression and Advanced and Basic Life Support response throughout the 80+ square miles we are responsible for. We also provide mutual aid and automatic aid to our neighboring jurisdictions.

Beginning in 2011 Fire District 3 began using SUV vehicles for emergency medical response. Currently we have Rescue 31 at the Hockinson Fire Station and Rescue 35 at the Battle Ground Station. At our more rural stations (Battle Ground Lake, Venersborg, Rawson Road) we use Squads to respond to medical calls and small fires.  Squads are F-450 crew cab flat bed trucks, with a water tank and pump. The Rescues and Squads are equipped with Advanced Life Support supplies. Two to four personnel respond to medical emergencies instead of taking the fire engine. The smaller vehicles have proven to be less expensive to operate and quicker to arrive at medical emergencies. These vehicles allow us to save wear and tear on the much more expensive fire engines, extending their service life.

We appreciate your continued support. We are committed to providing you the best possible service. We look forward to the future as we strive to be the best rural fire district in America.